The term SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It can be defined as the process of bringing your website on top of search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, ‘organically’ or naturally. That is, basically optimizing or editing the contents of your website in such a way that the search engines find the website relevant and thus lists it in their search results. Google is predominantly the most used search engine nowadays. Anything that we want, from booking a tourism spot, to getting your mobile phones repaired, we rely on Google. Now it is all about getting your website to appear when there is a search made in accordance with your product or services. It may sound difficult or complex since you are going to be fighting for the top spot against over a thousand companies that may provide the same service, but trust me, with proper SEO done for the site, you’re going to be right on top.
Although nobody actually knows the algorithm in which Google ranks the website, we can definitely predict the so-called “Google Ranking Factors”. So here’s a list of those factors that can make your website into Google’s top ranks:
- Make it easy for Google to understand your website. The simpler your website, the better chances that Google prioritizes it. Make sure that your website is Apt, the product or your services can be easily understood and are not mentioned in complex ways. This also makes the customer to be engaged in your website in addition to the ranking benefits of Google.
- Make sure the keywords are placed in the website. What are keywords? Keywords are the phrases and search terms that users use when they search for something online. So for this, just put yourself in the shoes of the customer and try to derive how he would be searching for your product. For example, Say you own a Mobile repair shop in Chennai, the keywords can be ‘Mobile repair shops near me’, ‘Samsung phone repair center’, ‘IPhone repair shop’, etc.
- Keyword Planner tool that Google provides you in order to check the weightage of the respective keywords that you’re going to use. The tool clearly shows which keyword has the highest number of searches and with this information, you can draft a list of keywords with the highest weightage in relevance with your website and it’s product/services.
- Don’t try to trick Google by stuffing up a list of keywords into your website. Not only that Google doesn’t show your website in the top results, but it will also not work for the users who visit your site.
Now let us go a little in-depth into types of SEO:
- It is the process of optimizing the content of the web pages (keeping in mind with the Google ranking factors as mentioned above) in order to rank higher in search engines thereby creating more relevant traffic for your website.
Tips for On-Page SEO:
- Make sure you have a crisp as well as proper Title tag and a suitable Meta description that gives clarity in what you’re selling to the user. What is Title tag and meta description? Whenever you see a blue clickable link that appears in Google after you have searched for anything, the heading of that link is the title tag and the two line description which appears below is its meta description.
When writing a title tag:
- Make it relevant about what the service/product you provide.
- Place your important keywords wherever it fits aptly. But at the same time avoid keyword stuffing.
- Keep it between 60-64 words.
- Avoid duplication
When writing meta description:
- Create a compelling description
- Provide just enough information about your company and at this same time not too much that it spoils the curiosity.
- You may include a call to action which helps the user directly engage with your company.
- Keep the descriptions between 150 to 154 words.
- The main part of on-page SEO is the content. Be sure to give a compelling as well as informative content that engages the user and sprinkle the important keywords – the keywords with the most weightage, across the site. Also, include the keyword on the URL of the webpage.
- Off-page, SEO is otherwise called link building. That is, it is the process of getting the links of other websites on your webpage. Only when somebody finds your website to be legit, they are going to put their link into your site and thus it attributes to trust building. The more quality backlinks to your website, the higher you will rank in search results. Having a social media presence is very important in off-page SEO and it increases the reputation of the website
- Editorial links or blogs are considered to be the best backlinks as it ensures the reliability of the website. This process of getting links from other users blogs is called outreach and for this, you should be searching for:
- People who are interested in what you do
- A good reason to contact them
- A pitch that can benefit them
- Now another important type of off-page SEO is Blogging. Make sure you constantly update something that may directly involve your business or even anything that is close to it as well as informative. Be aware of the fact that people are always going to be sharing information that they think is useful. And with the popularity of social networking sites, we never know, maybe your blog can go viral.
Ultimately, SEO is rapidly changing from one year to the next perhaps even on a monthly cycle. Business owners have to adapt quickly, remember to focus on good content creation and copywriting fundamentals, thus try and engage your viewers. Proper understanding and usage of the above techniques will definitely make the company grow rapidly increasing traffic and hence boosting sales.